Friday, April 23, 2010

Brandon A @ Kenya: Made In the Streets

This weekend I realized how amazing God is through His beautiful creations in the Masai Mara. You can see his hand when looking at the sunrise, lions, mountains, zebras, birds, buffalo, and even through the ugly wildebeest. If you know me well then you probably already guessed that I took over 500 photographs of my safari experience. I put up a few of my favorites on my Facebook page. My favorite safari moment was seeing a lioness carrying her cub in her mouth and walking within feet of the front of our vehicle. Bwana Asifiwe!
This week is packed with projects. On monday the Pangani center was busy checking in Joska students from class 7 & 8 and getting them on buses to go back to Joska. Before they left I had the opportunity to see Benson (Mom and Dad's sponsored child) again and had the opportunity meet his grandmother.

On Tuesday Franklin, Lyn (Social Worker) and myself went to Bondeni to do some filming and got to see one of the homes he lived in for 2 months while in the "Made in the Streets" program. We also filmed him telling about his childhood and living on the streets.
Today I had the opportunity to film Franking in Eastleigh, the place he lived while on the streets. It was really eye opening meeting his street friends that live under a tree with clothing hanging in the branches. I even walked on the dirt streets that he walked every day selling drugs, and living life. It was incredible to see the difference between Franklin and his street friends. When we walked up they were sleeping on the side of the road under a tree. Their clothes were dirty and tattered and I could tell they were high on drugs and didn't look like they had much to live for. Franklin on the other hand was clean, wearing new clothes, is off drugs, and has a future ahead of him. While sitting with his friends Franklin told me, "I would like my friends to get out of the streets, for God to help them, and for them to return to their homes." It has been truly a blessing to get to know Franklin's story and I hope it touches the hearts of many.
(Franklin with his street friends under their tree)

(A street kid, about 13 years old, high on glue, trying to hold a conversation with Franklin.)

After we returned from filming I meet with students from various classes to start phase 1 of my student photo project. In short, I handed out 49 disposable cameras and gave them detailed instructions on how to use them, how to take good photos, and that I wanted them to take 10 photos of things they see or do on a daily basis in the Mathare slums. I will be doing this 3 times before getting the photos developed. This will give 147 students the opportunity to be creative thru the art of photography. Out of 1,750 photos I will choose the best of the best and make an art gallery in one of the rooms of the center. This will be MOHI's first student art show! I am really excited to see what shots the kids take.

No comments: