Thursday, March 18, 2010

Brandon A @ Kenya update Thur 18 Mar

Around 6:30 last night we returned from our trip to Mombasa. It was a long and exhausting 9 hour drive but was well worth the trip. Some of the highlights of the trip was visiting Fort Jesus, touring Old Town, driving our van onto the ferry and cross the river, swimming in the pool and playing at the beach. The only downside was that Mombasa is extremely hot and humid. But the cool pool temperatures make up for the hot sun beating down on us. The Kamau children had fun one night taking photos using my laptop camera one of the nights. I will be putting those photos on my facebook page soon.

Today was my first official day working at the Missions of Hope International. Mary Kamau has me working with the CHE (Community Health Evangelism) team for my first few days of work then shadowing another leg of the ministry. Today I had the opportunity to work with Ann and Dan doing home visits following up to see how some of there core team CHE members are doing with there community projects and visited with people who are in the middle of training to be a CHE Member. It was a great experience walking thru the slums and siting in the homes of some key people that will/are making a difference in there part of the slums. For example one of the teams is trying to raise awareness of how to prevent common illnesses that are running rapid in the slums.

It has taken a few days but I think my body is finally getting adjusted to the 7 hour time difference between Kenya and Maryland. The weather has been much easier to get used to then the time difference. Today it was a high of 80 degrees and a low of 62 degrees.

No comments: